Suovas smoked reindeer meat is true delicacy from the Wild North. The traditional Sami way to smoke the meat creates a fantastic and unique taste. It is in our humble opinion probably the best smoked meat you will ever eat.
The suovas reindeer steak is best enjoyed when sliced in thin slices and heated up very quickly on high heat in a pan just before serving.
Suovas is the Sami word for "smoked". Our suovas is prepared in an ancient and local way where the meat is first salted and then cold smoked outdoors in a traditional "kåta", which is a Sami tent made from reindeer hides. Birch wood with the bark removed is used for the smoking. Birch wood in particular is considered best for the taste and and the bark is removed to prevent sot to touch the meat. The smoking usually takes quite a long time, often one to two days.
Tender meat with a delicate wild flavour
- All our meat is hung for 4-7 days to add extra tenderness and taste
- Wild game meat has a distinct wild taste that comes from a natural life in the animal's natural habitat
- Out of wild game meat, reindeer is often considered "the finest of them all" thanks to it's tremendous tenderness and delicate taste
- Reindeer feed exclusively on fresh plants and are thus very rich in nutrients
- Obviously no preservatives, antibiotics or preservatives have EVER been near this meat
- Reindeer is very lean and low in cholesterol
- Unlike domesticated cattle, there is no water waste when "producing" wild game meat. There are also no unnatural emissions of methane gas affecting global warming that you would get from e.g. cows
- No farm land was needed to produce food for the animals. All animals have roamed free in the wilderness and grazed on what they themselves chose in their natural habitat
- There are around 260,000 reindeer roaming the North of Sweden. This number is kept stable by traditional reindeer herding by the Sami people in a similar fashion as they have done for hundreds of years
- Traditional reindeer herding is often an important source of income for the local Sami communities and an equally important part of preserving their heritage and way of life
Shipping is free over €100
We ship with couriers like DHL and FedEx. For Northern Europe, the shipping time is 12-24 hours from the time your package leaves our facilities. For Southern Europe it's usually 18-48 hours.
We ship products on Mondays and Wednesdays, so depending on where you live you will receive your package either on Tuesday or Thursday, and in some rare instances for remote addresses, on Friday. The courier will inform you of your exact delivery date and time.
We only ship on Mondays and Wednesdays to avoid that the package for some reason gets stuck in the courier's warehouse over the weekend.
To cover some of our shipping and packaging costs, we use the following shipping rates:
- Orders up to €50: €19.90 in shipping
- Orders €50 - €100: €9.90 in shipping
- Orders above €100: Free shipping